Friday Foodie Affair: Chicken Cordon Bleu II


 
Chicken Cordon Bleu II
 

Recipe Source: Allrecipes.com
Photo Sources: The first photo is from the above link and the others are mine.
 
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 45 min 

Ingredients:

6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
6 slices swiss cheese
6 slices ham
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon paprika
6 tablespoons butter
½ cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup heavy whipping cream
 

Directions:
 

1. Pound chicken breasts if they are too thick. Place a cheese and ham slice on each breast within 1/2 inch of the edges. Fold the edges of the chicken over the filing, and secure with toothpicks. Mix the flour and paprika in a small bowl, and coat the chicken pieces.

2. Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the chicken until browned on all sides. Add wine and bouillon. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.

3. Remove the toothpicks, and transfer the breasts to a warm platter. Blend the cornstarch with the cream in a small bowl, and whisk slowly into the skillet. Cook, stirring until thickened, and pour over the chicken. Serve warm.
 

My Thoughts:
 
One of the first things I noticed, after the mouthwatering photo, was the video instructions. I’ve never seen that before on Allrecipes but having that extra resource was a nice addition.

Between the video and the above written directions I had no problems making a successful Cordon Bleu. Hubby and I both really enjoyed it and it will be another recipe I revisit every so often.
 
I had actually considered making a breaded, baked version but I’m very glad I didn’t because the sauce really made the dish! I’m actually kicking myself for not saving the extra sauce. It would have been so good over…well just about anything. Maybe some saucy broccoli or a baked potato. Next time for sure!

Side note: Is smoked paprika the new ‘it’ spice? I wanted to buy a fresh container of paprika to make this dish but all my local grocery store carries is ‘smoked’. I bought it and then ended up chickening out and using my older, regular paprika anyway. Now that I think about it, it probably wouldn’t have made much difference since it was being cooked in. Right? Does anyone know if there is a huge difference in flavor between the two?


 

No comments

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and will try to respond to comments as much as possible.