Friday Foodie Affair: Foodie Book Review


 ...where I profess my love for food and food related things.



Brooklyn Girls
By Gemma Burgess

Series: Brooklyn Girls #1
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary
Publisher: St. Martin’s Griffin

Fantastically funny, fresh and utterly relatable, Brooklyn Girls by Gemma Burgess is the first novel  in her brand new series about five twenty-something friends – Pia, Angie, Julie, Coco and Madeleine – sharing a brownstone in hip, downtown Brooklyn, and discovering the ups and downs and ins and outs of their “semi-adult” lives. The first story belongs to sophisticated, spoiled, and stylish Pia, who finds herself completely unemployed, unemployable, and broke. So what is a recent grad with an art history degree and an unfortunate history of Facebook topless photos to do? Start a food truck business of course! Pia takes on the surprisingly cutthroat Brooklyn world of hybrid lettuce growers, artisanal yogurt makers and homemade butter producers to start Skinny Wheels  - all while dealing with hipster bees, one-night-stands, heartbreak, parental fury, wild parties, revenge, jail, loan sharks, playboys, karaoke, true love, and one adorable pink food truck. And that’s without counting her roommates’ problems, too. Gemma Burgess has captured the confusion, hilarity and excitement of the post-graduate years against a backdrop of the pressures and chaos of New York city life, with heartfelt empathy, fast humor and sharp honesty

Brooklyn Girls on Goodreads, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble
Gemma Burgess’ Website

My Thoughts:

You sure as heck wouldn’t catch me doing a lot of the things these girls did but their story felt real, like it could actually be someone’s life in the big city. I was actually a little indifferent towards them in the beginning but they started to grow on me as the story continued. They faced a lot of trials with their friendships, families, jobs, and just life in general. 

This was one of those books that kept getting better and the more I read the more anxious I was to find out how things worked out. 

My only nitpick is that some phrases were repeated a lot. They were entertaining at first but got to be just a teensy bit annoying. It’s really such a small detail in the overall scheme of things but it’s just something that jumped out at me as I went along.

The Foodie – The common foodie theme throughout most the book is food trucks. I haven’t had many food truck experiences and never thought much about it but this book has convinced me that I’m missing out. Hopefully I will be able to find some the next time I’m in New York. :)

A big thank you to Jess @ A MidsummerNights’s Read for letting me borrow this book.

Overall Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and will try to respond to comments as much as possible.