Shelf Candy Saturday (11) Black City by Elizabeth Richards


Shelf Candy Saturday is hosted by Five Alarm Book Reviews


Black City by Elizabeth Richards


dark and tender post-apocalyptic love story set in the aftermath of a bloody war. In a city where humans and Darklings are now separated by a high wall and tensions between the two races still simmer after a terrible war, sixteen-year-olds Ash Fisher, a half-blood Darkling, and Natalie Buchanan, a human and the daughter of the Emissary, meet and do the unthinkable--they fall in love. Bonded by a mysterious connection that causes Ash's long-dormant heart to beat, Ash and Natalie first deny and then struggle to fight their forbidden feelings for each other, knowing if they're caught, they'll be executed--but their feelings are too strong. When Ash and Natalie then find themselves at the center of a deadly conspiracy that threatens to pull the humans and Darklings back into war, they must make hard choices that could result in both their deaths.


Is this not a gorgeous cover?! The shattering rose, the colors...it's so dramatic! 

Due to release Nov 13th

7 comments

  1. Awesome pick! I love the drama of the exploding rose and it sounds like a great read too.

    My shelf candy is here if you'd like a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore this cover. The colors, the explosion (quite literally) of color. It is a wonderful Shelf Candy pick. I have not had the chance to read it yet, but it seems appropriate for the synopsis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Jen! This is a gorgeous cover! It's just so PERFECT. Everything about it makes a powerful impression on the prospective reader. I love the colors, the way the black rose explodes into shades of hot pink, gray, and white, the stark black lettering... This is truly inspired design! It has shock value, too. Also, there's a cinematic quality to the image, as if it were a still frame from a movie.

    Thanks for featuring such a dramatic, stunning cover!! (And I love the novel's plot, as well.) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fantastic cover. I love that it kind of takes what has become a series of iconic covers (the Twilight series) and turns it around. The cover for New Moon has a simple flower, plain background, a little serene. This one does too but the flower is exploding. Immediately signaling that this story is going to do the same - dangerous, suspenseful, etc. I love the colors and the concept. And the text is not competing with the photo. Really great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I love the cover too but post apocalyptic reads aren't really my thing, those stories get under my skin because I have zero survival skills LOL


    Talk Supe

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! I know i know! I totally love this cover too. It's not only gorgeous but in your face aggressive! I think the book sounds equally as explosive! This is one of those books that I will buy in hardcover when it comes out because of the cover. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and will try to respond to comments as much as possible.