Feed (Newsflesh #1) by Mira Grant


In 2014, two experimental viruses – a genetically engineered flu strain designed by Dr. Alexander Kellis, intended to act as a cure for the common cold, and a cancer-killing strain of Marburg, known as “Marburg Amberlee” – escaped the lab and combined to form a single airborne pathogen that swept around the world in a matter of days. It cured cancer. It stopped a thousand cold and flu viruses in their tracks.

It raised the dead.

Millions died in the chaos that followed. The summer of 2014 was dubbed “The Rising,” and only the lessons learned from a thousand zombie movies allowed mankind to survive. Even then, the world was changed forever. The mainstream media fell, Internet news acquired an undeniable new legitimacy, and the CDC rose to a new level of power.

Set twenty years after the Rising, the Newsflesh trilogy follows a team of bloggers, led by Georgia and Shaun Mason, as they search for the brutal truths behind the infection. Danger, deceit, and betrayal lurk around every corner, as does the hardest question of them all:

When will you rise?

My Review:

I recently read The First Days by Rhiannon Frater (my review) and I was curious how Feed could compare to it and well, it doesn’t. It’s next to impossible to compare the two. Yes, they’re both zombie books but that’s about where the similarities end. The First Days is on the front lines of the Zombie apocalypse whereas Feed takes place many years after. Feed is more about how life has fundamentally changed after something as drastic as having to exist in the same world as zombies. Things change and we adapt.

Feed was highly recommended by a few friends on Goodreads, but I just didn’t connect with it on the level they did. Don’t get me wrong, it is a good, unique story. I was interested and never contemplated quitting reading BUT you have to read slowly in order to process all of the information and world building. Personally, I prefer to read books that I can devour, I don’t as much enjoy reading something that requires a lot of time and effort. I know, that sounds bad but it’s true. I want to get caught up in a story and not be able to put the book down until I finish; I want it to wow me. I had no problems putting Feed down and it took me a week to finish, which is unusual for me. I am curious where the story goes after Feed, but I haven’t decided yet if I’ll continue the series.

Overall Rating: 3.5 out of 5


2 comments

  1. This sounds like a brainy book. I like those after a few light reads, but can't do zombies. I know they're popular right now, but too much for me. It sounds like good writing, though. A well-thought out book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it kind of is a brainy book...not that there's anything wrong with that type of book, it's just not what I usually go for.

      I really like zombie books but werewolves will always be my first love :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you and will try to respond to comments as much as possible.