Random Crumbs

I have not posted a ‘Random Crumb’ for a while so today you will get a few to ponder…


Today in History

1981 – MTV begins broadcasting in the U.S. and airs its first video, ‘Video Killed the Radio Star’ by the Buggles
(Are you singing the song in your head now? I am!)

1944 – Anne Frank makes the last entry in her diary
1944 – Warsaw Uprising against the Nazi occupation breaks out in Warsaw, Poland

1876 – Colorado admitted as the 38th U.S. State

1834 – Slavery is abolished in the British Empire as Slavery Abolition Act 1833 comes to force

1831 – A new London Bridge opens

1820 – London’s Regent’s Canal opens

1619 – First African slaves arrive in Jamestown, Virginia

Did You Know

-Recycling 1 glass jar saves enough energy to light a 100w light bulb for 4 hours

3 comments

  1. I hate that song because it always gets stuck in my head! Anne Frank, that's intense! That one gave me chills. Its interesting that Slavery is abolished on the same day that the first slaves came to Virginia. Ironic.

    Check out my new review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was noticing that you have The Witches of Santa Anna on your bookshelf. Did you like those? I'm into witches, I wonder if I would enjoy the series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe, that song is way too catchy!!

    I'm glad you found the facts as interesting as I did. I like to keep my blog light and upbeat but I also think we have to remember our history so we don't relive it.

    I read novellas 1-9 of the Witches of Santa Anna series. I enjoyed reading them but I wouldn't go as far as to say they were fantastic. I think you would like them.

    Here's a link to my review if you want to check it out...

    http://lratrandom.blogspot.com/2011/05/witches-of-santa-anna-series-by-laura.html

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and will try to respond to comments as much as possible.