Vampires Rule (Rules #1) by K.C. Blake


Goodreads Summary:

Jack has always beat the odds... until now. When a werewolf tried to kill him, vampires saved him. When he got tired of life as a vampire, another attack gave him back his mortality. Now Jack just wants to live a normal life, but what's normal about having a hunter for a girlfriend, a brother who wants to stake him to be on the safe side, and a werewolf building an army to rule the world?

My Review:

I was a little surprised to find that this book is Young Adult but that’s only because I didn’t read the description before reading the book**. It being YA is not a bad thing; it just caught me off guard.

This was not an ‘edge of your seat’ type of book for me but it did keep a steady pace and had some interesting and unique (at least unique for me) twists.

I liked that both of the main characters were able to defend themselves and didn’t constantly have to depend on others. They have their vulnerable moments but overall they were strong and determined.

Wraiths were new to me and although they didn’t play a huge part in the book, it was easy to visualize them as ghostly, wispy beings with mouths full of sharp pointy teeth. In my mind I pictured something like the cover of 99 Coffins by David Wellington. Creepy...I like it!

Another interesting idea is to be ‘transported’ into someone’s memory by touching that person or an object. Although I don’t think this is a completely new concept I think it is well done in Vampires Rule.

I’m looking forward to reading the next book in the Rules Series (Werewolves Rule) when it’s released.

- - - -

 
**I think reading the summary of a book can be bitter sweet. On one hand you get the gist of the book and are not surprised by things like the genre. But on the other hand the summaries sometimes give away too much and you essentially know the outcome.

2 comments

  1. I feel the same way as you do about reading summaries before reading the book. I never read the summary right before starting the book. It gives away too much for me especially when it comes to series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually read the summary when I first see a book. Then I add it to my massive to read list on Goodreads. But that's the advantage of having a large list, I can sometimes be surprised by books if it's been a while since reading about them.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and will try to respond to comments as much as possible.